Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall

I love the fall. The trees changing colors, the brisk/crisp air, the thought that semester is half over, piles of leaves, the noises leaves make in the wind, Halloween around the corner, Family Home Evening pumpkin carving competitions, General Conference thoughts still prevalent in your mind, and the thought that I get to go home in about a month. All nice stuff.

Here in Utah, there are actual season changes, whereas in California, you have summer, fall, more fall like weather with more rain, then spring-ish, then summer again. And summer isn't even summer. It's two weeks of hot, then two weeks of cold, etc.

But Utah, when it turns into fall, it turns into fall. There's definitely a difference here from the beginning of September to the end of October. The leaves change colors - in California, most of the trees keep their leaves...those darn conifers... - and the grounds crew puts them into piles. It's so tempting to jump into them, but they might not like my roommates and I if we did that. Summer mornings were probably sixty to seventy degrees. Somewhere around there. Late October mornings, not so much - it's like the weather is saying, "Let it snow already!" This morning when I was walking to class, I definitely saw frost on the grass that had not been touched by the sunlight yet. It was cold. Hooray for Land's End sweaters! Those are going to save my life this winter.

The weather here is just so diverse throughout the year. I've only been here since late August, but it's still really fun to go from sweating from just standing outside to  maybe having to take a sweater in the morning to your roommates saying how they have to get to D.I. so they can buy more sweater, socks, jackets, etc. because of the coming cold weather. Personally, this weather right now where it's sunny but still chilly is my all-time favorite weather. It's amazing and wonderful.

And it helps that one of my favorite holidays is just around the corner - Thanksgiving! I'm so excited because I get to go home for Thanksgiving! I thought I was staying in Utah - which I would have been fine with - but I get to go home! I love my parents, so much.

Anyway, I hope all of you have a wonderful day today! Take time to think about the little things in life and how they make you happy! My happiness today is that it's my favorite weather outside right now.


Quote of the day:
"Third, no matter where you live, no matter how humble your circumstances, how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling in the Church may appear to you, you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father. He loves you. He knows your humble heart and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a lasting testimony of your fidelity and faith.
"Fourth and finally, please understand that what you see and experience now is not what forever will be. You will not feel loneliness, sorrow, pain, or discouragement forever. We have the faithful promise of God that He will neither forget nor forsake those who incline their hearts to Him. Have hope and faith in that promise. Learn to love your Heavenly Father and become His disciple in word and in deed.
"Be assured that if you but hold on, believe in Him, and remain faithful in keeping the commandments, one day you will experience for yourselves the promises revealed to the Apostle Paul: “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”
"Brothers and sisters, the most powerful Being in the universe is the Father of your spirit. He knows you. He loves you with a perfect love."
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints (emphasis added)

No comments:

Post a Comment