September 11, 2001. 8:46 AM, EST.
It's been ten years. Ten years since the World Trade Center was hit by planes hijacked by terrorists. It's weird to think how much we - as a nation - has changed in those ten years. Stricter regulations for travel, different political views, and a change of how we remember.
My heart goes out to those that lost people that day. Ten years ago, America stood together as a nation in remembering what happened and in our purpose. Today, we again stand together in remembrance, but this time more out of respect for those that risked their lives and - in some cases - actually gave their lives to save others, and of course those that were innocent bystanders in that tragic occurrence.
For the past few days, this has been a heavy topic on my mind. I've been thinking about how I came downstairs to get ready for school, my mom was ironing, and the TV was on. A rule in our house - somewhat - was that the TV wasn't supposed to be on before school. I remember watching for a few minutes, not quite understanding what was going on. My Aunt was somewhere on the east coast for business and I remember that my mom was worrying about her. I went to school, kind of understanding what was going on, and I remember that my teacher did not mention what was going on. I later found out that the teachers weren't allowed to talk about it with us. It took me a few years to understand, but now I do, for the most part, and I know that I will never forget what happened that day.
A few years ago on this same day, my mom and I watched a documentary about this. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I will always remember those who died, helped, and suffered that day. I don't know any of them personally, but I still feel for them and wish them the best.
I've also been thinking about how I have changed in the past ten years. In third grade, I had a few friends that I really liked being around. I was an okay kid - I did what I had to do for school and I was an okay student. The rest of elementary school went without consequence - other than braces and glasses - and then middle school hit. Those were some tough years. Definitely. Again, a few friends and good in school, but other things made me adapt and change. I was also extremely shy and quiet. And then high school came around the corner. I have grown so much in the past four years - personality, outgoing-ness, lots of friends, mentally, spiritually, and musically. I wouldn't trade my experiences - even my bad ones. They have helped me to grow so much and learn even more. So as a nation and personally, we have grown. We've grown to accept certain things and to reject others - the things being good or bad.
We remember to learn and learn to remember. We learn from the past so that we can honor those who did what needed to be done and those that went before us to the next life. God Bless America and those that live in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment