So I've been at the Y for two weeks now and it has been an amazing two weeks. Late nights with roommates, meeting tons of people everyday, New Student Orientation, Carnival / Acoustic Explosion concerts, Divine Comedy shows, a football game, and so much more.
But the weird thing is that it still hasn't really sunk in that I'm at college. Not yet, at least. I know - consciously - that I am over seven hundred miles away from home, that I am now dependent on myself to actually eat and do chores and all that jazz, but my subconscious hasn't been hit with the "Wow - I'm away from home. At BYU. In Utah. AT BYU" even though I can say that my subconscious has realized that I'm "not in [California] anymore, Toto."
I think the coolest thing, so far, is that I can be sitting in my Family Finance class and, all of a sudden, my teacher can be talking about the Book of Mormon or the symbolic-ness of Financial Stewardship. And the other cool thing is that we actually take a religion course. My Book of Mormon teacher rocks. He is awesome and really gets into what he's teaching. Like today - I think the last person I saw get that passionate about the Book of Mormon was Jeffrey R. Holland a few General Conferences ago. It was great.
And everyone at BYU is so nice! Guys hold the doors open for you, your tutors want to help, your R.A.'s are enthusiastic about you being at BYU, and people want you to succeed in your educational career and your spiritual growth (if "succeed" is the right term for spiritual growth...)
Anyway, BYU is a mind-blowing experience. It is so unique and different from what I've experienced in the previous years of my life. I love it here - even though I wouldn't mind if the construction next to my dorm would stop... - and I am excited for the upcoming months and years at this university.
No comments:
Post a Comment