I know that it is crazy mid-terms week, but I feel like I should write this. So here it goes.
This project - To This Day Project - has created a video that captures the essence of bullying and some of the effects it has. The video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY) has been circulating the internet for a few days now. I have not watched it until today. And, oh man, this describes being bullied perfectly. Every bullying situation is different, but the effect is the same. A demeaning, demoralizing, and dehumanizing act that is done by kids or teenagers. An act that effects the lives of thousands, if not millions, of people a year. An act that is always going to be in a person's life for the rest of their life. The bully may forget, but not the one who is bullied. They never forget. It may just be in the back of their minds and they might not think about it everyday, but it is always there. Always. They learn and they may forgive, but they do not forget. They don't forget so that it doesn't happen again. They remember so they remember how it feels and how they don't want to feel that way again.
Now, for me, when I remember being bullied, I think of how I felt and I know that I do not want to be the cause of that pain to ANYONE. I hate hurting people's feelings, intentionally or unintentionally. I am not perfect in being 100% nice to everyone 100% of the time - we all have our days where we are irritable or short with others. But I try my hardest to minimize those effects on people. I remember how it felt to not be safe at school. I remember the threatening phone calls I got when I was home alone. I remember how it felt to feel like I did not have any friends other than my band teacher and math teacher. I know how it is. I know I did not have the worst bullying experience in existence, but I know that i would not wish it upon anyone else that I know or don't know.
Luckily, I was able to get away from it. My family moved to a new town, a new school, and new friends. People didn't make fun of me anymore and if they did, it was because we were friends and they understood how I worked and what jokes I could take. By the time I graduated high school, I was fine. I forgave the people that made my life in middle school miserable. My friends I have now are wonderful and I am so grateful for what they have done for me to help me become a better person and a better friend. Thanks, guys. You mean the world to me.
Please watch the video. It rings true for at least one person you know and it is amazing. And even if you have never experienced bullying yourself, you can help another person by telling them about it or somewhat understand what they went through.
Here's part of the video that rang true for me:
"And if you can't see anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror. Look a little closer. Stare a little longer. Because there's something inside you that made you keep trying despite everyone who told you to quit. You built a cast around your broken heart and signed it yourself, you signed it 'They were wrong!' ... You have to believe that they were wrong ... We are graduating members from the class of 'We made it' ... But our lives will only ever always continue to be a balancing act that has less to do with pain and more to do with beauty."
Bullying is something that we've all heard is a problem, but no one really does anything about it. There are so many types of bullying and so many forms that it is hard to get a real understanding of how widespread it is. As of 2010, about 2.7 million students were bullied across the U.S. and that 15% of students don't show up to school because of the fear of being bullied. People commit suicide from being bullied. That should not be happening. This is a problem that needs to be fixed. I have no idea how, but I think awareness is one of the first steps.
If someone you know is being bullied, please support them. Don't ask why they're crying again for the third time that day or why they are "depressed" all the time. Show that you love them. Show that their Heavenly Father loves them and that this is a trial that will make them stronger. Show them that they DO have self-worth and that they are beautiful and wonderful. Tell them you love them. Don't let them suffer in silence and by themselves.
Help them and love them and let them know that it will all be alright. It truly will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment