Friday, October 19, 2012

"The future is as bright as your faith"

Yesterday, I did something huge. Something life-changing. Something that helps me have more faith in the future and in what I am doing with my life.

I declared as an English major.

Now, for some of you, this may not be a huge deal. To me, it is. I almost ran to the bell-tower to declare it to the rest of the school. And I was practically skipping on the way home. After a year and a half of searching, I have an official major. I have considered thirty majors (and yes, that number is correct, not an estimate - I just counted) at one time or another during that year and a half. About a week ago I realized that the only major that was continually there was English and the only thing holding me back was taking a foreign language. For those of you who know me well, I don't do well with learning languages other than English. But I talked with someone about it and they suggested ASL. My friends also thought that it was a good idea. One of them told me, "Well, you already talk with your hands, so why not learn ASL?" I love writing, whether it be stories, essays (most of them), or just writing in general. I love reading something, dissecting it, and giving my opinion about it. I love this stuff. And after thinking about it, I decided to declare as an English major.

When I walked out of the humanities office, it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I now have a major. I now know what classes I'm taking next semester. I have a general direction that I'm going in instead of deciding which way to go out of the thousands of options. I know I'll have to work hard - that's a given with college - but I know I'm going to do well because I have faith that I am going to be dedicated to this major and faith that Heavenly Father will help me when I need help. It feels right and I feel good about it.

The reason I chose this quote by President Monson for my title is that this is a true statement. I know it is. As my faith increases, my future becomes brighter and brighter. I know that there will be hard times in life - when is there not? - but I have faith that everything will be alright in the end. It will all work out. Trials are a part of this mortal life - we're here to be tested, after all. But I know that my future it bright and I'm excited to dive into the realms of the English major.

1 comment:

  1. woo-hoo! It was such a huge relief for me, too, when I declared a major so I definitely understand that feeling! (Though I was lucky enough to fall into my major in just my 2nd semester, so I didn't have the agonizing wait that you've had.) Congrats! And I love the quote -- definitely true. :)

    ReplyDelete