Yes, I know it is 2:05 in the morning, but I cannot sleep for the life of me. There has been something on my mind for the past six hours and I need to talk about it somewhere. What is that topic, you may ask? Family.
I have not been home in California since December. I got to see my parents a few weeks ago, but those weeks have been very hectic and it seems more like three months ago. I don't know what it is, I just all-of-a-sudden had a burst of homesickness/missing my family. Maybe it was the fact that my oldest nephew was in the hospital a few days ago. Or the fact that my friend got to go home for Mother's Day (which is awesome, by the way. Her mom didn't know and her reaction was priceless). Or maybe it was that one video I watched of a dad coming home from Iraq and his son completely breaking down and crying. Or maybe it is the fact that I get to go home in July and I CANNOT WAIT!!! Or the fact that Mother's Day is this weekend and I miss my mom a lot.
It's a rarity when our whole family can get together. I kind of used to take family for granted (not completely, but somewhat) and now, being away from home has put that into perspective. I miss them, so much. No joke. I love my family. I always have, I always will. We have our ups and downs - like any family - but it's mostly ups when we're all together, I think. I love how someone can say a line from The Sound of Music and the rest of us can finish the scene that the line was in. I love how we have the same sense of humor and how it all meshes together when we start telling jokes or using our sarcasm. I love how I'm an aunt, a sister, a sister-in-law, a daughter, and a friend to my family.
There are so many things I love about the members of my family. To start off, my dad - race car driver, landscape architect, pilot, great example, best dad on earth, and an all around good person. My mom - where do I even begin? She's so many things that I can't even begin to list them. And she has done so much for me that cannot even be explained in words. Both of my parents, in fact. They have done so much for me to help me get to where I am today. They have helped me have opportunities that would not have been possible otherwise. Thank you.
My sister, Jen - pianist, flutist, my big sister, my Harry Potter movie buddy, former drum major, and likes to spoil me. =] She's amazing. Her husband, Adam - smart, went to Australia on his mission, loves golf and motorcycles (or anything with a motor attached, really). Their two kids, Andrew and Sam - I miss being able to play LEGO's with them and just playing with them in general. Apparently, when they go to my parents' house sometimes, they ask my sister, "Is this the time we get to see Michelle?" It almost made me cry when my sister told me that. I love you guys.
My second-oldest sister, Laura - drummer, family consumer science guru, and world traveler extraordinaire. She just blows my mind when I think of all that she has done. Her husband, Ryan - amazingly smart, speaks a lot of languages (I lost count), and a Scrabble devotee. Their kids, Audrey, Chester, and Timothy - they've all been born in different countries, but they're all still sweet and adorable.
My favorite (and only) brother, Seth - computer mastermind, fluent speaker of hilarity, and a great big brother. You get my brother, a bag of Costco rolls, and me in the same room for an hour, that bag of rolls will mostly be gone. His wife, Jenna - favorite sister-in-law, amazing cook, and one of the sweetest people I know. Their kids, Afton and Chase - they're also adorable. They both have dimples. Do you know how cute it is when siblings have dimples together? So cute.
My closest in age sister, Kelly - Mary Kay consultant (pretty good at it, too), history major, and a very good planner of anything. I get to see her the most out of my family, since she only lives about thirty minutes away from me and we have the same job right now. Her husband, Glen - English teacher, technology wizard, and amazing at cooking bacon/meat. Their kids, Sarah, Katie, and James - a blond, brunette, and a redhead. They're fun and very energetic. And adorable. I just have very adorable nieces and nephews in general.
So that's my family, in all their amazingness. I miss them incredibly but I am so excited that I get to see them in about two months. Definitely my motivation for the rest of spring and part of summer term. Sorry this post is so long - it's just, if you couldn't tell, family is really important to me.
I love all of my family, so much, and I just want them to know that.
No comments:
Post a Comment